We are in Valpolicella, the land of wine. The cellars are located underneath and to the side of Villa Santa Sofia, formerly known as Villa Serego. Begun in 1560 to a design by Andrea Palladio, the villa was built on commission by Marcantonio Serego, a highly respected nobleman who was married to Ginevra Alighieri. A historic winery in the territory (in the true sense of the term), Santa Sofia is now owned by Giancarlo Begnoni. Approximately 40 hectares of vineyards produce wines with a classic and traditional style. After all, in a place like this, it would be impossible not to.